Fractions Proficiency Through Spatial Reasoning
Developing Fraction Operations: The Ribbon Task (7:35)
- While viewing the video, consider how the ideas shared might further inform or influence practice and impact student learning.
- What further questions do you have?
- What additional information, resources and supports are needed?
- What are some specific next steps that can be taken based on what has been learned from this video?
Representing Fraction Operations: The Ribbon Task (13:02)
Tools Reveal Understanding of Operations (2:33)
Scaling Up or Down – Key to Proportional Reasoning (5:24)
Composing and Decomposing to Understand Quantity (4:41)
- Prior to viewing: When you consider “composing and decomposing using a variety of tools”, what skills and strategies would you hope to see as students work with numbers?
- While viewing the video, what are some key ideas that emerge for you?
- After viewing: What further information might you seek to deepen understanding in this area and approaches to learning?